Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Monster

Last weekend, I came across this book with "MONSTERS" in the title by Dan Reeder and just couldn't leave the bookstore without it. I tried out Papier-mâché once before, but this book had a lot of helpful hints. Plus, the dragon "trophy" was very impressive. It looked like something I could easily follow. So, first, I decided to try out the instructions for the sample monster.

I had a stack of newspapers ready to go, but had to hunt down some wire hangers around the house. Then, I bought a gallon of Elmer's glue, paint, tape, clay and other recommended supplies. The Papier-mâché recipe is just flour and water. And, part of the technique is to NOT DIP THE STRIPS! After the pieces hardened overnight, I added feet and hands to the limbs.

I went with the knarly hands method. This is just balled up newspaper for knuckles taped to the wire fingers.

This is a Papier-mâché ball that has been cut open for jaws and clay "teeth" glued to it using a glue gun. Along with the tongue, the instructions are copied straight from the book.

The jaws are prepared with strips of an old bed spread dipped in Elmer's glue. What a mess to work with hands covered in glue! The tongue is wrapped in one, long strip and allowed to sit in the lower jaw where it will bond. I made stands using old toilet paper rolls to make it easier for drying.
...more to come.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment